Are you considering a pet hair vacuum to clean up after your furry friends?
Not sure where to start? The team at Control Pet Hair is here to help.
In this guide, we’ll discuss a few things you should consider when choosing a pet hair vacuum, and we’ll also provide you with a few of our top picks.
Read on, and learn everything you need to know.
Want to skip directly to the product reviews?
Here’s the list. We’ve included pricing that was current on Amazon at the time this post was written, so please note that current pricing may differ slightly.
- Shark APEX Upright Vacuum (AZ1002) – $349.98
- Dyson Upright Vacuum Cleaner, Ball Animal – $377.99
- Miele Complete C3 Cat and Dog Canister Vacuum – $1098.95
- Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum, Corded, 33A1 – $30.99
- Dyson V11 Animal Cordless Vacuum – $490.99
What To Consider When Choosing A Pet Hair Vacuum
There are many different types of vacuums out there. How can you figure out which one is right for your needs? Here are a few considerations you should keep in mind when choosing a product.
Corded vs. Cordless
Corded vacuums are always more powerful than cordless vacuums that are in the same price range. Since they don’t need a battery and can draw direct AC power, they’re able to deliver better overall performance.
However, corded vacuums can be less convenient to use than cordless vacuums, particularly if you do not have that many power outlets in your home.
And if you are willing to spend the money, it is possible to get a cordless vacuum that offers similar levels of performance.
Canister vs. Upright
Canister vacuums are more powerful than upright vacuums, since they can use a larger and more powerful engine.
In addition, they can be easier to maneuver into tight spaces, since they use flexible vacuum tubes that attach to the canister. Due to their power, they are very good for cleaning bare floors.
However, upright vacuums are cheaper, simpler, and more convenient. If you do not do a lot of vacuuming or don’t vacuum on bare floors, it may not be worth it for you to invest in a canister vacuum.
Bagged vs. Bagless Filter
Bagged filters are disposable and must be replaced when they’re full, but are extremely efficient at filtering out dander, dust, and other allergens.
If you or anyone in your home has pet allergies, they may be a good option.
Bagless filters, also called “canister” filters are reusable. You can simply empty them and replace them in the vacuum. However, they’re not as effective at filtering out small particles, in most cases.
If you plan on vacuuming corners and furniture, you’ll either want to get a vacuum that supports handheld attachments, or plan to get a separate handheld vacuum.
A separate handheld vacuum can also be a good option if you frequently have to clean pet dander and fur out of your car.
Now that we’ve discussed a few things you can think about while picking a vacuum, let’s get into our top 5 picks for the best pet hair vacuums for hardwood, carpet, and furniture.
**You can click any of the vacuum names below to view them directly on Amazon. The Amazon page for each item provides more details as well as customer reviews and current pricing.
The Shark APEX upright vacuum is a mid-budget option that’s specifically designed for pet owners.
It has Zero-M self-cleaning brush technology which helps prevent hair wrapping around the brushroll, as well as DuoClean brush roll technology for a deep clean on both carpets and hardwood floors.
It comes with 4 versatile cleaning attachments, and supports 3 unique cleaning modes to provide maximum versatility.
- 3 ways to clean: Powered Lift-Away mode, Upright mode, and Above-Floor mode
- Corded design for powerful suction
- Self-cleaning brush prevents clogs
- Swivel design may take some getting used to
- Can only store 2 out of 4 included attachments on the vacuum
- Heavy and somewhat bulky design
Dyson is well-known for its high-quality vacuums, and this corded upright vacuum is no exception. It’s been built with a focus on pet hair removal, and incorporates a powerful motor, a Tangle-Free Turbine, and whole machine HEPA filtration to remove dander and hair.
The self-cleaning head has been designed for maximum suction on all surfaces including hardwood, tile, vinyl, and carpet.
- Comes with three tools; Tangle-Free Turbine, Combination Tool, and Stair Tool
- Easy cleaning and simple filter emptying with a click of a button
- Extremely strong suction leads the market for upright corded vacuums
- Suction is very intense, which means it requires a lot of effort to push the vacuum, particularly on high-pile carpet
- Removable wand is difficult to remove and replace when cleaning
- Hose for hand attachments is bulky and relatively hard to maneuver
- Incredible durability and warranty
- Huge number of accessories & cleaning tools
- Extremely powerful vacuum with HEPA filter support for ultimate cleaning power
- Most expensive option
- May not be necessary unless you have multiple pets
- Rollers are hard to clean when clogged with pet hair
If you’re looking for a handheld vacuum to use specifically to clean things like stairs, upholstery and furniture and your car, the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser is a great option.
It’s lightweight and easy to maneuver, and the corded design gives it extreme cleaning power, despite its small size. With a filter capacity of 0.78L, it’s ideal for jobs of any size.
Don’t want to deal with cords? The BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser Lithium Ion Cordless Hand Vacuum is more expensive, but a good alternative.
- Corded design provides powerful handheld suction
- Inexpensive and a great value for the money
- Multi-layer filtration with the Cyclonic Cleaning System
- Cord is only 16 feet, making it harder to clean some areas
- Pet hair-focused design means it’s not as good at cleaning up other types of messes
- Rubber nozzle requires a lot of force to maneuver in tight areas
If you are a pet owner who must have a cordless vacuum, you need to look no further than the Dyson V11 Animal Cordless Vacuum. Despite its cordless design, it has an extremely powerful, 125,000 RPM motor and whole-machine filtration that captures 99.97% of particles. It also quickly and easily transforms into a handheld vacuum for cleaning stairs, furniture, your car, and more.
- Transforms into a multi-purpose vacuum
- Comes with docking station and multiple cleaning accessories
- Up to 60 minutes of high-performance vacuuming per charge
- Very expensive compared to other cordless and corded vacuums
- Not as good as a corded vacuum on hard floors, better for carpets
- Heavier than comparable corded and cordless models
Choose The Right Pet Hair Vacuum
Thanks for reading our guide to the 5 best pet hair vacuums.
With what you’ve learned, we know that you’ll be able to pick the right vacuum for your home or business.
If you’re interested in taking a closer look at some of the products mentioned, use the links below. Thank you for reading!